Monday, November 16, 2009

Picture Book of the Week: 'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving



I love Thanksgiving. It is a holiday all about eating and family without the pressure of finding the perfect gift and totally decorating the house. I was born on Thanksgiving Day, actually, and when I was younger, I used to think that the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade was just for me. I know better now, of course, but it is still my favorite holiday. And in honor of my favorite holiday, I have chosen a comical book for our picture book of the week: 'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving, by Dav Pilkey of Captain Underpants fame. As you might have guessed, it is modeled after the old classic, 'Twas the Night Before Christmas. In this version, a class takes a field trip to a turkey farm. While they are there, the students make the connection between the cute clucking turkeys and their upcoming Thanksgiving feast. In the end, the students all decide to have turkey for dinner, but not in the way that you would expect! This is a great holiday read that can be appreciated by just about any age group from kindergarten right on up.

No comments:

Post a Comment